Sunday, January 16, 2011

Hustle and bustle

So I am in Windhoek. The journey on the way here was much less adventurous, interesting nevertheless. I woke up bright and early on a Saturday bracing myself for another bus trip. You see, under normal circumstances, I would have to take a taxi to Oshakati, the next town, find a service station from which the buses towards Windhoek depart (no pick up from my porch this time around was to be expected), get on that bus and wait until the bus gets full so that we can leave. This is also about 8am....Then on to the journey, a sample was described earlier in the blog.

Well, this would be under normal circumstances... I have been extremely lucky with people I meet so far, so instead of this scenario, my friend at the lodge ( I should really give them all names by now - let him be D) knocks on my door: "Can you be ready in 10 mins?". I can learn Chinese overnight if the exam is tomorrow..."Ok, get ready fast - I got you a ride". Yey!!! So no bus, and no angry looking ladies wanting my seat. One of the customers at the lodge was driving to Windhoek that morning, so I could join. So there we set off... My company turned out to be a lovely couple - he works at the Magistrate and she is in the Ministry of Labour. They have made this 8 hour journey 3 times in that week - Ongwediva and back to Windhoek!! So this time the journey was much more more pleasant and educational as we got to talk Namibian history, politics and culture on the way, and I got to take photos...While on the subject - I have to apologize, not many photos will be coming in the next weeks, as my internet connection has a data limit..=(( Boo!

I got to Windhoek much before sunset, and was greeted by this message on the gate of my new lodge: Try the Windhoek experience: Bring a bag into town and get mugged at knife point. Right.....
Needless to say, when I went out to explore the surrounding neighborhood, I somehow managed to stuff the content of my handbag in my pockets...

I went for a promenade in the surrounding area, which turned out to be the centre of the city, not far off from the main street - Independence avenue. This is where most of the offices I will be visited seemed to be, so it would be good to know my way around. Now this time, walking on the streets, it finally hit me...I am in a foreign country that I know not much about, in a foreign city, no longer a village! And I am on my own!! It helps that I know some people, so at least I can call someone  - I have been lucky so far. But! A big but! This is where I got slightly concerned...How am I going to turn up at various offices and organisations in this city with my fundraising campaign? Will I even be able to find these places? May be my friends are right, may be I am crazy......Besides, and this was the most worrying part - this is 6pm on a Saturday and this place is like a ghost town. Where is everybody??!!! Windhoek is supposed to be a busy city with the hustle and bustle...well, by Namibian standards...

After about an hour of wandering around, checking back to my map at every turn, I walked to PwC office!
Now I feel at home ;) Well, I shall visit them later.....

Turns out, most places are open from 9am to 1pm on the weekends, and then people go out in the night, but in a different part of town... Do much for the hustle and bustle!

1 comment:

  1. Just caught up on your blog Marina. Well done on all your achievements; I was telling Neil I cannot fathom where you get your energy and drive from! Shame about the lack of photos. Good luck with your meetings this week. Speak soon. :)

    ReplyDelete