Friday, January 21, 2011

Blending in...

So it has been a week of my life in the city, and I am quite used to it now, I feel a part of it. It has gone from the slightly unsettling feeling induced by all the scary noticed in the lodge, to a pretty comfortable daily routine of cris-crossing the city. I try to blend in! =) You see, that scary notice about the Windhoek experience mainly applies to tourists. Tourists are easy targets for all the obvious reasons: eyes down on the map, casual camping clothes, big backpack and camera on their chest..or something like that. I refuse to get out of my heels regardless of the country I am in, and I have had a few people ask me whether I was Namibian...of course that was before they heard me speak..But still, not bad!=) On a serious note, of course, one needs to be careful in every city, and word of caution never hurt anyone...

Blending in does not always work however...In Katatura, which is like East London of Windhoek, I was getting funny looks...But most probably because not many Windhoek whites go there, let alone foreigners. Another occasion when blending in does not work, is when I start talking to people and they ask me what I am doing here. They do not really comprehend why I would want to come all the way here to work for free and pay for it too! And the part where I am Russian but live in the UK just adds confusion to the mix. Some look at me funny, and do not ask any more questions as they can see that the voice of reason falls on deaf ears. Some get quite interested, and then we have a good discussion, and they welcome me to stay longer. I am now used to confused faces, and repeated questions WHY? But WHY?

As part of my blending in strategy, I have mastered the art of giving directions to the local taxi drivers! Ok, may be not mastered... Local taxi drivers do not actually know the local streets! The also cannot read maps, and so they move around based on the landmarks and main street names. So the way the conversation normally goes is: " I need to get to X". "Ok, will you show me where to go?"...I try! So far I am writing the blog and hence, my directions have been a success...nobody got lost!=)


No comments:

Post a Comment